Combat is a major focus in Honkai Star Rail and the turn-based combat requires a good amount of strategy. When you are dealing with enemies, you need to focus on a lot of different aspects from the enemy type to their weakness. If you perform specific actions in combat, you can break an enemy, leaving them open to attack. Of course, this requires you to focus heavily on what an enemy’s weakness is and having the matching type of attack. Only then will you be able to destroy their guard. This guide will show you how to break enemies in Honkai Star Rail.
How to break an enemy’s toughness in Honkai Star Rail
Combat is a very strategic thing in Honkai Star Rail. Everything from the weapon you use to the statuses you inflict on enemies matters. To break an enemy in Honkai Star Rail, you need to match your attack with the enemy’s weakness. Simple as that.
When in combat, take a look at the weakness of the enemies you are fighting. Their weakness appears above the white toughness bar above their heads. To break the enemy, you must use an attack with a symbol that matches the one above the enemy’s head. As you can tell by the image above, this is not the case for this attack. Attacks that don’t match the enemy’s weakness will inflict much less damage until their toughness bar is broken.
There are several different types of weakness breaks in the game; physical, ice, wind, fire, lightning, quantum, and imaginary. Breaking an enemy causes them to take more damage and also delays their actions. Each break has a specific bonus ability as well:
- Weakness break: Physical – Applies the bleed effect
- Weakness break: Ice – Freezes the target
- Weakness break: Wind – Applies the wind sheer effect
- Weakness break: Fire – Applies the burn effect
- Weakness break: Lightning – Applies the shock effect
- Weakness break: Quantum – Causes entanglement, delaying the enemy’s action
- Weakness break: Imaginary – Inflicts imprisonment, delaying the enemy’s actions and reducing their speed
As you can tell, breaking an enemy can help you in combat tremendously. Make sure to always use an enemy’s weakness against them.